Thursday, January 15, 2009

Banks and Books

I brought Banks to work with me today. He suffers from separation anxiety and we're not sure how he's dealing with Nellie's absence when we're not around. They certainly got along but I don't think that they bonded all that much. The folks at work seem to like him and he's being a very good boy.

One of the things that I was planning on writing about before Nellie became really sick was the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers. My secretary just devoured them and loved them. My mom read them and liked them as well. With as much publicity as they received, I decided to go ahead and see what the fuss was about. I started the first book and finished in a day...same with second...and third. The last book, I read in two days because I saved the last 20 pages so that I could savour them.

On Ms. Meyer's website, she writes that she was in the process of writing another volume...the first story but from Edward's point of view. Unfortunately, 12 chapters were leaked and posted on the web. She was understandably angry and didn't want to finish the book. (She did mention that she might take it up again at some point but not in the near future.) She went ahead and posted the chapters on her own website. They can't be printed so it's a bit of a bummer to read over 200 pages on a computer screen. It actually took me quite awhile to finish it because of the eye strain. Anyway, I thought it was a great concept and it cleared up some of the gaps in Twilight. There are petitions all over the web begging her to finish it.

So, I have to admit that my inner 12-year-old-girl loves that series.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm still debating whether I'll read the series but I really am fond of the idea of your 12-year-old girl self. (Kristie)